Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What Supplements I Take

I'm sitting here in the hospital waiting for my baby girl to get out of surgery. She's having her tonsils out. Instead of sitting hear worrying like an over-protective father, I thought I'd write a Blog post. I frequently get asked what supplements I take. Here's my answer as well as the why.

Before I begin, it's important to remember that supplements are just that -supplements. They do NOT take the place of a healthy diet.

I currently take the following.

1. Whey Protein. I currently take three protein shakes per day. I never use milk to mix the powder. To much fat and carbs. I always use water. Besides water, I typically also include liquid egg whites, oates, spinach, cinnamon, and one fruit (such as a banana). The reason why I take a protein supplement should be obvious.

2. Multi-Vitamin. I take a multivitamin every morning with breakfast to ensure that I get the vitamins and minerals my body needs to be healthy, perform and recover.

3. Fish Oil. I take approximately 900 mg omega-3 per day (647 EPA, 253 DHA). The health benefits to fish oil are great - including reducing cholesterol and inflammation, helping you have healthy skin, helping with mental health and also promoting weight loss.


4. Creatine Monohydrate. I take 5 grams per day of creatine. Creatine provides energy to your muscles, thereby increasing recovery and work capacity.

3. Magnesium & Zinc. I take 250 mg of magnesium and 50 mg zinc every night before bed. This helps with sleep efficiency, energy, and protein synthesis.


4. N.O.-Explode. I just barely started taking NO-Explode. I was looking for a good pre-workout supplement to help me get "amped" for my workout. So far, I feel like its working. I take 2 scoops 45 minutes before I work out. When its time to train, I feel an increase in energy and alertness.

Well, that's what I'm currently taking. I say "currently" because it's bound to change. I like to experiment with things to see what works and what works the best. Obviously, not all of you will take the same supplements. A woman looking to lose weight and who is currently taking a fitness boot camp has no need to take N.O.-Explode or three protein shakes per day. As with a lot of things, you need to do (or take) what works for you. Everyone is different. Finally, remember supplements do not take the place of eating well; they should simply supplement an already healthy diet.