Friday, August 29, 2008

Plateaus

All of us have experienced plateaus in our training, where we do not seem to be making any gains in our strength or size. These times can be frustrating. However, I have found that if I change one of the following factors, I can break through my plateaus.

First, is my attitude. I truly believe that in order to become strong, you need to think yourself strong. You need to believe that you are strong and have what it takes to "kill it" in the gym. Do not underestimate the power of positive thinking.

Second, is my diet. To become big and strong you need to eat big. It is simple science that if you are not consuming enough calories, your weight will decrease. This decrease will be even more profound if you are active. I try to eat six meals a day. With each meal I include protein, carbs, fruits and vegetables and lots of calories. I also supplement with a protein shake. Remember, if you want to be big, eat big.

Finally, is my workout routine. Our bodies adapt to the stress that is placed upon them. In order to make gains, one needs to keep in the body in shock. You keep the body in shock by regularly changing up your routine. Many professional athletes will change their workout routines weekly. The average joe can change his routine monthly. The key is variety. Keep the body shocked. Change it up. If you do, you will see yourself making gains.